The upcoming April 2013 program is the Presentation of the 1942 B-24 Bomber Crash in Denmark Township.
Society member, Jim Cran, will present information acquired about this accident to those attending this meeting.
This will include statements made by a number of Denmark township residents who heard the plane or saw the fireball and wreckage. See Press Release.
The Denmark Township Historical Society organized a "School Daze" event at Valley School and Carpenter Nature Center (CNC) on Sunday, September 30, 2012, to thank donors, encourage potential donors, and give people an opportunity to visit the historic schoolhouse.
Mavis and Valda headed the committee and everyone on the board and campaign steering committee helped. It was a real team effort. The plan was to have visitors park at the CNC and ride a bus to the nearby schoolhouse. Activities at CNC included:
- A welcome table staffed by Jean Boyd and Sally Roth.
- A horse-drawn wagon ride to the Pioneer cemetery by Gordy Herman, with comments by Rod Olson.
- Power-point presentation in the Visitor Center set up by Wayne Boyd.
- Refreshments in the Pavilion organized by Carena Kelz and Peg Powers, including home-baked treats by Denmark Homemakers, cookies donated by Cub Foods, beverage donated by McDonalds; apples donated by orchards in Denmark township, at Valda's invitation.
Activities in the Valley School included:
- "Teacher" Darlene Hallberg and DTHS President Wayne Boyd welcoming visitors.
- Former students Richard Hullander, Gordon Whitaker and Helen Ruedy reminiscing about Valley school days (the school closed in 1946).
- Visitors to the school included Harriet Hansen Dahl, the granddaughter of Harryette Hansen, last teacher at the Valley School,who wrote extensively about the township.
- Many people who had not seen the school's interior and marveled at the original tin ceilings and slate blackboards
Additional news is being prepared for release.